OKI company contacted to me and they told me they will provide the source code, but it might take some time because it's really old machine.

On 7/3/24 5:41 PM, MOON Sungjoon via sane-devel wrote:
Hello, 안녕하세요!

Repackaging their backend would probably be the easiest
Yeah, it must be easiest. But it won't be work other archiecture such as ARM and musl based system like alpine. But still it would be good start.

I will make AUR package first because I use Arch with only libsane-oki.so parts and other dependencies. People will be easily port this package to other distro.

If their code is not licensed in a way that is compatible with SANE, then a "clean room" methodology might be OK
I'm not sure one person can do the "clean room" methodology. Or writing only documation of this library and someone might be able to build a backend.

And plus I think their library is GPLv2 too. So it might be okay to just reverse engineer. I will ask this to FSF.

Though, like you said just using Wireshark might be enough.

If you take an existing backend, it would be best to start with one that implements the comms protocol that you are going to use (e.g. USB or network).
I think I will start with USB implementation. Good, thanks.

I would pick a recent backend such as my brother_mfp one (here: https://gitlab.com/sane-project/backends/-/merge_requests/751) or the canon_lide_70 (which I used for the basis of my own) or the escl backend which has Thierry actively maintaining. My brother one only implements USB at the moment, but escl is primarily network based, so it really depends on where you want to start.
Thank you for the examples.

Thank you so much.

Best,

Sungjoon