Barton Bosch wrote:

> >> ohci1394: pci_module_init failed
> >
> >That's related to Firewire stuff; it probably does affects ypur scanner
> >problem.
>
> I'm sorry, could you clarify your meaning here?  1394 is the tip off that it
> is firewire related, but are you saying that this module failure does or does
> not affect my scanner situation?  I was assuming that it would not but was
> puzzled that it popped up at all, seeing as how there is no firewire port on
> my computer.

Ouch. Omitting a "not" is one of my favourite mistakes. I should read a
mail more carefully before sending it. As Henning already guessed, I
meant that the message from the ohci1394 should _not_ affect the scanner
stuff.

> This is a scanner that I bought at a thrift store, so I do not know what kind
> of shape it is in.  I did manage to scan one document on my previous Red Hat
> installation right after I got the scanner.  As I remember, without using a
> terminator, and with the scsi id switch set to 7, I plugged it into the SCSI
> card and booted the system -- the scsi host adapter card recognized 7
> instances of the scanner, and I configured them all in Kudzu, the Red Hat
> autoconfiguration lizard.

Using the SCSI 7 will in most cases cause a mess: Every device on a SCSI
bus, including the host computer, needs a unique ID, and the host has by
default the ID 7. That could be the cause of some of your problems.

cheers
Abel