Hi,

Please reply to the list, not to me personally. There are developers
that know much more about the plustek backend than me.

On Thu, Mar 20, 2003 at 08:02:27PM -0600, Charles Mims wrote:
> I am sure you are correct about this.  I just was trying to say that it
> is supposed to use the plustek driver.
>
> > > I then loaded the scanner module and then ran 'sane-find-scanner and it
> > > reported the scanner at /dev/usb/scanner0.  However when I started Xsane
> > > it said no scanner device could be found.
> >
> > Enable Debugging like this:
> >
> > SANE_DEBUG_PLUSTEK=255 xsane
> >
> Things seem ok until the last.  The scanner is identified and located at
> /dev/usb/scanner0.
>
> This the output of the last 4 lines.
> [plustek] drvopen()
> [plustek] usbDev_open(/dev/usb/scanner0,0x04a9-0x220e)
> [plustek] open failed: -1
> [plustek] sane_get_devices (0xbfffe718, 0)

Permissions are ok? sane-find-scanner as normal user works? The
opening itsself failes, usually that means it wasn't detected by the
kernel or the permissions are wrong.

> > Maybe you can find out what's wrong that way.
> >
> > Which version of sane-backends are you using? Maybe it's just too old.
> >

> sane-backends identified as 1.0.8

May be too old. But that's a different problem. Your scanner is first
mentioned in sane-backends 1.0.10.

> > > Trying to correct this I edited the plustek.conf file-first making a
> > > backup copy..  I put in the VendorID and the Product ID. However when
> > > this still resulted in Xsane saying no device could be found I
> > > reverted to the original plustek.conf.
> >
> > Which kernel version are you using? With 2.4.12 and later you don't
> > need to put the ids in plustek.conf as far as I know.
>
> I am using 2.4.18.

Should be ok.

> cat /proc/bus/usb/devices reports  the scanner
>
> P: Vendor=04a9 ProdID=220e Rev= 1.00
> S: Manufactures=Canon
> S: Product=Canoscan
>
> I: ------Driver=(none)

Well, your scanner is not detected by the kernel scanner driver. This
can't work that way. Something is wrong here because you said
sane-find-scanner detected the scanner at /dev/usb/scanner0.

Sorry, that's not possible. Did you unload the scanner module between
the test with sane-find-scanner and cat /proc/bus/usb/devices?

First make sure that the scanner is detcted by the kernel usb scanner
driver. Then go on with SANE.

Bye,
  Henning