hi all,

I'm working on Gnome Scan and intend to be very active in this realm in
the next year.

This may hurt some people here.

I want to bring scan support to hal. I intended to talk with sane people
in january. I want in Gnome to use sane for access, not probe/detection.

That's bad to probe each time you launch the app. I wonder if we need a
kind of cups for scanner that use sane to access, receive job request
and return stream of pictures. I wonder how to handle local and
networked detection. I want to add avahi feature to scanner share.

Likely, SANE 2 offer a new sane_open () prototype that allow to get
device description without doing the probe. But how can hal know the
sane device name ? I would like to add a "scanner.sane.name" field or
similar into hal scanner device in order to allow app to use directly
SANE (basically, a scaner cups will do that). Is this possible with SANE
1 ? If not, how does SANE 2 help for that ?

Some of you may be attached to the double work of sane : device support,
device probe. But i really think SANE must add a way for developer to
handle device detection according to the target system standard (e.g.
hal, windows, Solaris, etc.).

I do not want sane to drop sane_get_devices (). Would be nice to get
sane device name from vid/pid or some other info an OS/hal can give.
That's easy to implement a simple hal addon that handle the filling of
scanner.sane.name field.

I wish you will understand that need.

Kind regards,
?tienne.