Le lundi 19 octobre 2009 ? 22:34 -0700, Adrian Sandor a ?crit :
> > > Well, you didn't say how.
> > You didn't ask for help ;-)
>
> Yes I did, I wrote "Anyway, please let me know when I can try the new code
> **and how**."
> But it's ok now.
Ok, misunderstanding of "how", thought you had already been able to
install git

> > > If I don't press the "scan" button like that, I just get an error
> > > message "Error during read: Device busy."
> > That's a very odd behavior, first Pixma that I hear to require this.
> > No need to do that with the Windows driver ?
>
> It's not exactly a Pixma but I guess it's from the same family.
> I haven't tried the windows driver, but the manual gives similar
> instructions, please see the attached excerpt (step 2 for both usb and
> network).
>
> > > There's also a "Button-controlled scan" option that requires me to
> > > press a button both in the software and on the device to start
> > > scanning; it works but I don't find it very useful.
> > Yes, as you describe it, you need to have some action on the scanner
> > itself, so useless here, but very useful for many other Pixma devices,
> > which do not require this particular manual handling.
>
> What does "Button-controlled scan" do on other Pixma devices?
On other Pixma devices, the button-controlled scan is used to be able to
start scanning when in front of the device. You select in Xsane for
instance, button-controlled scan, then click the scan button on Xsane.
At that point, scanning is on hold, and does not start. You must go in
front of the device, select the scanner mode, and hit the copy button to
enable scanning by Xsane. This way, you can more easily scan documents
that require some manipulations on document or scanner cover (e.g. for
books)

> What button controls the scan (with that option) if not one on the device
> itself?
The scanner button is used here to start scanning, in this case.

> > > However, I can't find any way to access the scanner over the network.
> > > That's ok for now because I am the main user and the device is right
> > > near my computer, but in the future it would be nice to have the
> > > option.
> > Wondering whether this could be linked to the special handling you're
> > describing above. You say that you are selecting "usb scanning". So is
> > there a way to select also "network scanning" ?
>
> Yes, the first time I press the "scan" button it goes to "network scanning"
> and the second time it changes to "usb scanning". However, that only seems to
> affect the scanning, not the detection.
> No matter what I press, the scanner is detected on usb and not on the
> network. And obviously, if I can't detect the scanner then I can't scan.
Maybe there's some new trick added by Canon in the scanner network
protocol, this would need to be checked.

Do you have the possibility to take a Windows Wireshark log, and send it
back to me ?

Nicolas