I don't know the answer but probably the failure is related to this
part of the log file:

[epson2] using built in CCT profile
[epson2] esci_set_color_correction_coefficients
[epson2] esci_set_color_correction_coefficients: not supported

What version of sane-backends are you running?  Looking at current
git, that code path is protected by an if(hw_supports).  Not sure how
your getting it unless its old software.

Chris