Hi,
Reference:

"m. allan noah" wrote:
> sane is a scanner driver suite for unix-like systems. Which system you
> have and your skill level will decide how you download it. sane is
> free.
>
> allan
>
> On Fri, Jun 17, 2011 at 11:57 AM, Colin Parker <colinparker at onetel.net>
> wrote:
> > I note that you list the above but how do I download the software and how
> > much does it cost please?
> >
> > Alwyn.

I am one of many happy users on this list who can confirm sane is free,
it's no trick :-)
However if you want to pay Money I guess your a Microsoft user, & not used
to the free world yet.  so ...

I see no sane support on http://cygwin.com/packages/
        so looks like sane not ported to Micro$oft,
        (not suprised, complex)
so bite the bullet, escape addiction to Microsoft &
choose any of many free Unixes
        http://berklix.com/free/
Maybe just choose whatever Linux or BSD some local friend already
knows who can help you.

Whatever, they're all free, & will all run sane on top, free,
Download sane free from eg:
        http://www.sane-project.org/
        http://www.xsane.org/
        http://www.fbakan.de/xsane-os2.htm

Here FYI is detail of support free, for sane on the OS I happen to use:
FreeBSD, a Unix like OS (similar to Linux), build wrappers at:
        http://www.freebsd.org/ports/graphics.html
                sane-backends sane-epkowa sane-frontends xsane

See Also sane mail list footer for more clues on what sane is:
---
sane-devel mailing list: sane-devel at lists.alioth.debian.org