The mode/res/size go down to the scanner in the set window command,
0x24. That command is fairly standard across SCSI scanners of all
brands. The 0xe5 is probably only going to change with more esoteric
options, like buffering or multifeed or staple detection. The
canon-provided sane driver may not expose all those options, but the
windows driver probably does.

allan