2012/9/5 Chris Bagwell <chris at cnpbagwell.com>

> On Tue, Sep 4, 2012 at 10:33 AM, Matteo Gasparin
> <email.diversa at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I'm trying to write a multi platform scanning utility using SANE but,
> while
> > everything with linux is fine, opening the device and all, I find issues
> > with windows, both xp 32 and 7 64 bit. I downloaded the source and
> compiled
> > it using cygwin and the libusb-win32 library and everything went fine;
> some
> > of the backends didn't build:
> >
> > *** canon_pp backend requires libieee1284 library - disabling
> > *** gphoto2 backend requires gphoto2 and JPEG libraries - disabling
> > *** hpsj5s backend requires libieee1284 library - disabling
> > *** mustek_pp backend requires libieee1284 and paraport-directio
> libraries -
> > disabling
> > *** mustek_usb2 backend requires pthread library - disabling
> > *** pint backend requires sys/scanio.h - disabling
> > *** qcam backend requires ioperm and portaccess functions - disabling
> > *** v4l backend requires v4l libraries - disabling
> > *** pnm backend not manually selected - disabling
> >
> > which is ok for me, since the scanner I'm trying to reach is a HP Scanjet
> > 5300C, which should use the avisio backend. I thought it could be a USB
> > driver issue so I used libwdi's zadig program to switch the normal xp
> driver
> > with the libusb-win32 one. After that sane-find-scanner could correctly
> > recognize the scanner but no luck using scanimage.
> >
> > Did I do something wrong? Did I miss something?
>
> Hopefully, others with mingw32 experience will jump in as well.  But
> to start, what version of sane-backends are you testing with?
>
> I occasionally test cross compiling sane-backends on Fedora using
> ming32 cross compiler and then I test the executable using wine with a
> networked Epson scanner.  I compile with "configure BACKENDS=epson2"
> so I don't get much visibility into other backends.  I have no
> experience testing USB support under mingw32 though.
>
> I believe avision is the only other backend that has much mingw32
> testing by other users.  I thought there has been successful USB
> access using libusb-win32 though.
>
> Your probably going to have to start debugging to get much further.
> You can try the SANE_DEBUG_SANEI_USB and SANEI_DEBUG_AVISION
> environment variables and see if you can spot were things are going
> wrong between Linux and Windows.
>
> > On top of that I'm using Java and JNA to interface with SANE; again
> > everything using linux is fine, while with windows it correctly loads the
> > library and then hangs at the first call of sane_init(null, null) .
> Someone
> > got an idea about that?
>
> Hmm, not sure. I recall having some odd issues with finding config
> files on windows.  I think you may have to change into scanimage
> install directory before running your app or set the SANE_CONFIG_DIR
> environment variable.

> [...]
I'm using the 1.0.22 tarball downloaded from
https://alioth.debian.org/frs/?group_id=30186
For the environment variables, do I just need to set them and they will be
picked by the dll?
Is the use of libdwi the only way to see the usb devices from Windows?
Seems kind of a complicated and hackish way to get it work...

Thanks for the advice about the working directory, I'll try to verify that

Also, sorry for the double post