On 17/12/2015 04:41, Scott Alfter wrote:
On 2015-12-16 19:18, m. allan noah wrote:
You found the patch. If removing that fixes the issue, then our
workaround is causing problems with current linux kernels. I suppose
we will have to make the workaround controlled by an environment
variable in that case.

It didn't fix it when using gentoo-sources (kernel) 4.1.12, but in combination with gentoo-sources 4.3.3, I have only had one failure to scan, and that was when I told it to try scanning at 4800 dpi. At normal settings (600 dpi and below), I suspect it'll scan all day. It even completed a scan at 2400 dpi after a bit of a delay.

I then put the patch back in (or, more precisely, didn't patch it out), recompiled, and tried again under the newer kernel. It seems to be running about the same with the workaround as without: an "invalid argument" error at 4800 dpi, but it works at 2400 dpi and below.

The patch doesn't appear to be making much of a difference one way or the other. Instead, it would appear the kernel developers may have fixed whatever was broken with USB 3.0 support somewhere between 4.1.12 and 4.3.3.

    Hello,

before scanning, the scanner calibrates itself. The higher the resolution, the longer the calibration takes. The calibration data is then cached , and subsequent scans are faster. That explains the delay you saw at 2400 dpi.
    For the 4800 dpi scan, what is the scan area used (width, height) ?

Regards,
    Stef