The supported devices link you provided is for "sane-backends-1.0.16". I'm on 1.0.23, so I was believing the following was true now.

    http://www.sane-project.org/sane-backends-1.0.23.html
Perfection 4180 PHOTO USB 0x04b8/0x0118 Unsupported *supported by the epkowa backend plus non-free interpreter***

Hence my attempt with the epkowa backend.

Part of my attempts to get this working were to install the Epson iscan package. I assumed that was the non-free interpreter mentioned above. The debug output I listed in the post I included the link to was from running iscan. I was hoping that might give someone on this mailing list an idea of what was wrong.

I have seen posts on various boards that people have gotten this scanner to work with SANE. And I am (or have tried) doing what they mention they did. So far, the only difference in environments I can figure out is that those folks are on 32 bit Linux and I'm running 64 bit. Not sure that is the problem though.

Thanks Roger.