I'm using saned with a Pixma MP610 all-in-one on a Raspberry Pi 3 running an up-to-date Rasbian Jessie. scanimage --help shows me the following options for Geometry:

[...]
Options specific to device `net:localhost:pixma:04A91725_414EE7':
[...]
  Geometry:
    -l auto|0..216.069mm [0]
        Top-left x position of scan area.
    -t auto|0..297.011mm [0]
        Top-left y position of scan area.
    -x auto|0..216.069mm [216.069]
        Width of scan-area.
    -y auto|0..297.011mm [297.011]
        Height of scan-area.
[...]

However, trying to actually use "-x auto" results in an error:

------snip
reiter@hive:~ $ scanimage -d net:localhost:pixma --mode Color \
--resolution 300 -l auto -t auto -x auto -y auto > /dev/null
scanimage: option --x: bad option value (rest of option: auto)
------snip

Is this a bug or an error on my part?

I intend to use this scanner for a document management system and expect to scan quite a number of non-full-size documents. If x/y auto is indeed not available, what would be a good way to automatically crop my scans? The included (Mac) Software actually does a decent job so it seems to be possible.

Thanks in advance for your answers!

Cheers,

  Manuel