Hi,

I need a test program or such that will allow
me to test saned.

I need this to tell me whether my configuration
of saned is incorrect or if certain programs
trying to access saned are defective. ...

Could 'scanimage -d ...' work for you?

I think you can specify the network device name directly to -d. Getting -L to work (to list the scanners) is more tricky.

I can't find the documentation for how to construct the network name of the scanner but

https://wiki.debian.org/SaneOverNetwork

and 'man sane-net' might help.

From the example at that wiki page it looks like something along the lines
of 'scanimage -d net:<saned-ip-or-hostname>:<backend>:<device>' is what's required so maybe prepending "net:<saned-ip-or-hostname>" to the device name given when running 'scanimage -L' on the saned machine will work>

The manpage also documents how to add hosts to the net.conf file or to the SANE_NET_HOSTS environement variable to encourage 'scanimage -L' to find the scanner.

Regards,
@ndy

--
andy...@ashurst.eu.org