I'm willing to buy a Canoscan 9000F Mark II and otherwise provide some level of compensation to any developer interested in attempting to resolve a bug with the Canoscan 9000F Mark II scanner that prevents the scanning of negatives. It is my understanding this scanner did support the scanning of negatives with older versions of SANE.

A few bug reports have been filed in various places including with Ubuntu and on the SANE bug tracker- the Bug appears to be with SANE rather than Ubuntu/or a front end program:

https://alioth.debian.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=315932&group_id=30186&atid=410366