Dominque,

I’m the current maintainer of the SnapScan backend which supports the e20 in
Sane. Unfortunately I don’t own a e20 myself and don’t have access to one.
However, I’ve just tried sane-backends 1.0.27 on OS-X Sierra (homebrew) and
Linux with my scanner (that also needs firmware upload) and found no problem.
The scanner is detected by sane-find-scanner. On OS-X, homebrew installed
libusb 1.0.21.

To debug the problem further it may be helpful to see what the backend itself
reports. Can you please run

SANE_DEBUG_SANEI_USB=255 sane-find-scanner 2>findscanner.log

and

SANE_DEBUG_SNAPSCAN=255 SANE_DEBUG_SANEI_USB=255 scanimage -L 2>scanimage.log

and send me the (compressed) log files (findscanner.log and scanimage.log)

Kind regards,

Oliver