This mail was sent to [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Chris Green <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> described the package as follows:
License: gpl
Other License:
Package: Snort Intrusion Detection System
System name: snort
Type: non-GNU

Snort is an open source network intrusion detection system, capable of performing
real-time traffic analysis and packet logging on IP networks. It can perform protocol
analysis, content searching/matching and can be used to detect a variety of attacks
and probes, such as buffer overflows, stealth port scans, CGI attacks, SMB probes, OS
fingerprinting attempts, and much more.

Snort uses a flexible rules language to describe traffic that it should collect or
pass, as well as a detection engine that utilizes a modular plugin architecture. Snort
has a real-time alerting capability as well, incorporating alerting mechanisms for
syslog, a user specified file, a UNIX socket, or WinPopup messages to Windows clients
using Samba\'s smbclient.

Snort has three primary uses. It can be used as a straight packet sniffer like
tcpdump(1), a packet logger (useful for network traffic debugging, etc), or as a full
blown network intrusion detection system.

http://www.snort.org/dl/snort-2.0.0rc1.tar.gz

Other Software Required:
libpcap is the only real dependency, everything else is optional.

Other Comments:
What we\'d love to be able to do is have savannah be a CVS mirror of our future
internal server so that we can implement a patch policy.

My work number is 410-423-1941 (Chris Green) if you have any questions.