Hi,

On Fri, May 16, 2008 at 9:46 AM, bede <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> To get tracks i use an external script to read next file from a playlist
> and return metadata according to track type :
> "nofade" for jingles/commercials and "fade" for songs. I send
> liq_fade_in and liq_fade_out too.

First a small remark: the type="nofade"/"fade" does not seem to be
used in your script. Liquidsoap doesn't recognize anything like that:
all it does is reacting to the liq_fade_* and liq_start_next metadata.

> def crossfade(~start_next,~fade_in,~fade_out,s)
>  s = fade.in(duration=fade_in,s)
>  s = fade.out(duration=fade_out,s)
>  fader = fun (a,b) -> add(normalize=false,[b,a])
>  cross(fader,s)
> end

You made a good point about this function taken from our wiki: the
start_next parameter is unused. In normal times I'd have advised you
to fix it on our wiki, but now we're moving to another system for
documentation, soon online. I'll fix it there. As you correctly said,
the last line should be cross(duration=liq_start_next,fader,s).

> Now, at first impression, liq_fade_out is not correct. In almost all
> cases, some 4-5 seconds overlap i hear.

The overlap is controlled by start_next, not fade_out. Cross_fade is
only the duration of the fading, that is re-shaping of the enveloppe
of an end of track.

> If i add "liq_start_next" parameter to META (annotate), all is ok.

That makes sense. In the end, you understood the problem quite well,
I'm just confirming everything you said :)

> Problem TWO
> if i use function
> radio = crossfade(start_next=1., fade_in=0., fade_out=0., radio)
> this is response from liquidsoap console log:
> ... Waiting for "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" to be ready...
> ... Waiting for "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" to be ready...
> etc

Thanks a lot. You spotted a bug. The fade.out() operator fails to
declare itself as ready when its duration is zero. I've fixed it on
SVN. If you don't want to rebuild from SVN, you can safely use
fade.out=0.0001 -- smaller than that may result in a rounding to 0.

Have fun with liquidsoap!
--
David