On 02/06/2013 12:47 PM, Samuel Mimram wrote:
> Hi Rob,
>
> Right now we are in "freeze" period in order to fix the last bugs
> before releasing, but nothing prevents us from starting a branch for
> next version :) Multichannel is definitely doable and Liq already
> supports more than two channels, so it's just a matter of plugging
> things right. However, I'd like some more details about how you plan
> to use it in order to think of a right design for multichannel. What
> kind of application do you have in mind? Do you plan to mux stereo
> streams together or have mutichannel files all the way long? Do you
> have an idea about how you would like to specify mapping of channels?

ok so i guess my needs are quite specific, but i bet a subsection of
people working with multichannel streams will be sound/media artists who
would work in similar way:

<! -- the next few paragraphs can be skipped
the specific project i am trying to reimplement in liquidsoap streams
all the classical music radiostations from euro simultaneously and mixes
them down to a stereo pair, or in the case of a  sound installation
version to 8 or more speakers.
i do this now using python to script together a whole bunch of mplayer
instances into ecasound then to jack then to liquidsoap
using a modified input.mplayer i can now get the streams into liquidsoap
which makes things alot easier... but if i could assign these streams to
8 channels for example that would mean that in the installation i dont
need to have a running instance of the scripts but can simply point
mplayer to a the multichannel stream and output them to a multichannel
sound card.
-->

not sure how to map the stereo into the 8channel array in this context
so lets just thing about mono streams for now

excuse makeyupy psudo code syntax:

inputa = opus_channel(sine(40),0)
inputb = opus_channel(sine(140),1)
inputc = opus_channel(sine(240),2)
inputd = opus_channel(sine(340),3)
inpute = opus_channel(sine(440),4)
inputf = opus_channel(sine(540),5)
inputg = opus_channel(sine(640),6)
inputh = opus_channel(sine(740),7)

i guess you could also have a width parameter or something that
determines how much bleed there will be to the left and right of the
target channel, with 0 being only from that channel and 1 being coming
from all channels

inputa = opus_channel(sine(40),0,0) = only from speaker one
inputa = opus_channel(sine(40),0,1) = from all speakers

maybe another parameter for how much of the signal goes to a .1 sub channel
but this could be done manually easily enough without a specific summing
parameter.

there are plenty of spatialisation things to look at for ideas in csound
and supercollider for example but, ok so there are people way more
qualified than me to talk about surround mapping algorithms for sure
:) personally i only ever really used vector based amplitude panning in
puredata

http://impala.utopia.free.fr/pd/patchs/selection/EFFETS/vabp/vbap.html
http://www.acoustics.hut.fi/software/vbap/

but a simple mono signal -> discrete channel mapping possibility would
be great for starters - then on the client end they can be dealt with as
desired

my 2c

rob