Followup:

After my instance ran for a couple of hours, I began encountering the same
error (skipping the first second or so of files) with samplerate=48000 as
well. Looks like that was a bad correlation on my part.

I've reverted the test stream to 44100, where it sounds SO much better.
Still looking for a solution to the bad file starts.

---
Bill Goldsmith
Radio Paradise
www.radioparadise.com