Hey all! Some updates from the project!*Release assets and process*Some of
you might have noticed the appearance of a couple of things related to our
release process, namely this rolling release page:
https://github.com/savonet/liquidsoap/releases/tag/rolling-release-v2.0.x and
a new release assets repository:
https://github.com/savonet/liquidsoap-release-assets/releasesFollowing the
3 (!) point releases of 2.0.4, we realized that we had to do something to:

   - * Make it easier to test a release before it is out
   - * Make it possible to have a unique link to a release asset that would
   never change
   - * Make it possible for us to only list the last point release in our
   main release page so as to not confuse the users.

This was solved by introducing:

   - * Rolling releases, which are pre-releases that are refreshed on each
   commit. They are versioned according to the git commit SHA of the last
   commit in the release. These releases have the same assets that we provide
   for final releases, binary packagers, source tarball and docker images.
   - * A release assets repository where we only add new assets.

Please note that the release assets repository is relying on the
current no-limit
policy on github release assets
<https://docs.github.com/en/repositories/releasing-projects-on-github/about-releases#storage-and-bandwidth-quotas>.
If that changes, we would obviously have to adapt.Finally, we also have
updated our README to document the release process, how we decide on
versioning and which are the currently supported releases:
https://github.com/savonet/liquidsoap#release-detailsHopefully this
provides clarity to some of y'all!*What's next?*It's looking like the
2.0.x branch
is getting to be pretty stable. We have an ongoing 2.0.5 rolling release so
that would probably be the next stable release to come out.After that, we
would like to switch to the 2.1.x branch as the next stable release. One
mistake that we did after the 2.0.0 release was to pile up too many new
changes in the main branch, which got us so far that we actually had to
revert some of it to bring it back into a shape where it could be released
in a timely fashion.In the future, we would like to strike a good balance
between new & potentially breaking changes and stable releases. We
understand that, from a user perspective, having to rework your script when
the language changes can be annoying. However, on the other hand, we have
some important ideas and changes in the pipe that would greatly improve the
user experience overall. The new json parsing support in 2.1.x is an
example of such an advancement.Because we have limited resources, we do
plan on maintaining a single ongoing development branch, currently 2.1.x ,
living on the git main branch and an ongoing stable release, first as
rolling release from which we cut versioned, published release.With the
support of rolling releases, we may consider backporting patches to older
releases when they apply easily but will not guarantee that we always do.
One of the challenge with the releases assets build process is that
dependencies, OSes and etc change and we cannot keep maintaining release
build processes eternally.In order to support this effort and keep on
giving more clarity, we have started working on a roadmap
<https://github.com/savonet/liquidsoap/blob/main/ROADMAP.md>! Most of the
upcoming breaking changes will come from that list so feel free to check it
out, give us some feedback, suggest improvements or missing important
features and maybe work with us on some of it!One feature that we have been
cooking up that I'm pretty excited about is live switching with ffmpeg
encoded content. We are working on making switch and fallback properly work
when using encoded content so someone can, for instance, live switch
between an OBS source and a local file playlist and send that as HLS output
and/or rtmp output without having to re-encode! We believe that it should
be possible but this will eventually require the user to understand how
codecs and containers work and we might even have to write new ffmpeg
bitstream filters..!That's it for now, happy liquidsoap hacking to all
y'all!
-- Romain and Sam