Note: forwarded message attached.

Be a better friend, newshound, and
--- Begin Message ---
RAPTOR MIGRATION STUDIES IN INDONESIA

Dear All,

Since our east Bali raptor migration study was published in Forktail 21 and 22,
we carried out extensive additional fieldwork in Indonesia. In 2006, the spring
and autumn seasons were again monitored in east Bali, confirming the previous
results and adding important new information, particularly on the spring
movements from Wallacea to western Indonesia. This was the first spring
full-season count ever made in the Indonesian section of the East Asian
Continental Flyway.

During 2007 a new research project, supported by Natural Research Ltd. (UK) and
Hawk Mountain Sanctuary (USA), was carried out in the remote island of Sangihe,
North Sulawesi (http://www.natural-research.org/projects/sangihe.htm). Our team
worked two full-seasons in spring and autumn 2007, totalling over four months
of field effort. We recorded more than 230,000 migratory raptors on passage
over the island during a single season, revealing a large and heretofore
unrecognised movement from the East Asian Oceanic Flyway into eastern
Indonesia. We estimate that at least 400,000 migratory raptors are flowing into
Wallacea each autumn from the Continental and Oceanic Flyways combined.

The species observed on migration across the Wallace Line were Osprey Pandion
haliaetus, Oriental-honey Buzzard Pernis ptilorhynchus, Grey-faced Buzzard
Butastur indicus, Chinese Sparrowhawk Accipiter soloensis, Japanese Sparrowhawk
Accipiter gularis, Booted Eagle Hieraaetus pennatus, Harriers Circus sp., and
Peregrine Falcon Falco peregrinus calidus.

Detailed regional weather analysis is underway to determine relationships with
migration timing and magnitude in our two study areas, and two papers are in
preparation with the full results of Bali 2006 (spring and autumn) and Sangihe
2007 (spring and autumn).

Merry Christmas to you all.

Francesco Germi

46 (2F2) Elm Row