Brian Chess <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote on 2007/04/09 13:31:04:

> Hi Frederik,

Hi Brian,

> You're right that IE does not have the setter methods.  You're also
right
> that hijacking the Object() or Array() constructor method would be
enough to
> pull off the attack.  The bad (good?) news is that IE doesn't call those
> methods unless an object is explicitly created with the "new" keyword.
We
> got this wrong when we looked at it initially, which is why we said the
code
> could be ported to IE.  We're going to go back and fix that in the
paper.

Thanks for your reply. Since there is much more to JavaScript than that I
originally anticipated, I thought we missed something in our experiments.

> Of course, any JavaScript data transport format that explicitly calls a
> function is vulnerable in all browsers.  Over the last week or two I've
been
> learning that people are moving data around using a lot more than just
JSON,
> though JSON is the clear front-runner.

Would you mind sharing the different data formats you came across for
exchanging data in mashups/Web 2.0? Considering the challenges you
recently discovered, it might be good to have such an overview to look at
it from a security point of view.

> Brian

Frederik

---