A simple way to understand why implementing software development
process improvement will not necessarily produce secure software is to
read the Common Criteria.

yes, I know that it's opaque and hard to understand, but once you have
gone through the process of writing a Protection Profile for an
implementation independent information technology application, it
becomes a lot clearer why simply having a good software development
process does not imply secure software.

which is why I make all my students write a protection profile on a
topic that I pick (the latest ones centered around computer forensics
tools)

On Aug 7, 2007, at 7:01 AM, Francisco Nunes wrote:

> Dear list members.
>
> In june 2007, I had an interesting conversation with
> Mr. Will Hayes from SEI during the Brazilian Symposium
> on Software Quality. It was a great experience and I
> am very grateful for this.
>
> During our conversation, I made a question to Mr.
> Hayes similar to this: "Is it possible that only
> software development process improvements can produce
> secure software?"
>
> The scenario was only based on CMMI without security
> interference.
>
> His answer to this question was "YES". My answer was
> "I DO NOT THINK SO".
>
> His answer made me confuse and I had no arguments,
> mainly, because my professional experience in software
> process does not compare to Mr. Haye's experience.
>
> Unfortunately, I also haven't found any statistics
> which could answer this question. Please, if there is
> one, let me know!
>
> So, how about you, list members? What are your answers
> to the question above?
>
> I will try to organize your answers and present the
> final result.
>
> Thank you.
>
> Yours faithfully,
> Francisco José Barreto Nunes.
>

>       Alertas do Yahoo! Mail em seu celular. Saiba mais em
> http://br.mobile.yahoo.com/mailalertas/
> List charter available at -
> http://www.securecoding.org/list/charter.php
> SC-L is hosted and moderated by KRvW Associates, LLC
> (http://www.KRvW.com)
> as a free, non-commercial service to the software security community.

Julie J.C.H. Ryan, D.Sc.
Assistant Professor
Engineering Management and System Engineering
George Washington University

An NSA certified Center of Academic Excellence in Information Assurance
Education

http://www.seas.gwu.edu/~jjchryan/
http://www.seas.gwu.edu/~infosec/