Alternatives:
1) Some organizations adopt OWASP ESAPI's ref-impl.
2) Others build their own do agree and see the value; yes

#1 and #2 agree with your position.

3) Some secure their toolkits (again, "a la secure struts")

Indicating such a "secure struts" is an organization's ESAPI perverts the ESAPI
concept far too greatly to pass muster. Indeed, were it to, it would violate
properties 3 and 4 (and very likely 2) within my previous email's advantage
list.

Mr. Boberski, you too need to re-read my email. I advise you strongly not to
keep saying that ESAPI is "like PK-enabling" an APP. I don't think many people
got a good feeling about how much they spent on, or how effective their PKI
implementation was ;-). Please consider how you'd ESAPI-enable the millions of
lines of underlying framework code beneath the app.

4) Policy + Standards, buttressed with a robust assurance program

Some organizations have sufficiently different threat models and deployment
scenarios within their 'four walls' that they opt for specifying an overarching
policy and checking each sub-organization's compliance--commensurate with their
risk tolerance and each app deployment's threat model. Each sub-organization
may-or-may-not choose to leverage items one and two from this list. I doubt,
however, you'd argue that more formal methods of verification don't suffice to
perform 'as well' as ESAPI in securing an app (BTW, I have seen commercial
implementations opt for such verification as an alternative to a security
toolkit approach). Indeed, an single security API would likely prove a
disservice if crammed down the throats of sub-organizations that differ too
greatly.

At best, the implicit "ESAPI or the highway" campaign slogan  applies to only
50% of the alternatives I've listed. And since the ESAPI project doesn't have
documented and publicly available good, specific, actionable requirements,
mis-use cases, or a threat model from which it's working, the OWASP ESAPI
project doesn't do as much as it could for the #2 option above.

Jim, Mike, I see your posts all-througout the the blog-o-sphere and mailing
lists. Two-line posts demanding people adopt ESAPI or forgo all hope can
off-put. It conjures close-minded religion to me. Rather:

* Consider all four of the options above, one might be better than OWASP ESAPI
within the context of the post
* Consider my paragraph following Point #4. Create:

        * An ESAPI mis-use case guide, back out security policy it manifests,
          or requirements it implements (and don't point me to the unit
          tests--I've read them)
        * Document an ESAPI threat model (For which apps will developers have
          their expectations met adopting ESAPI? Which won't?)
        * A document describing experiment results: before and after ESAPI:
          how many results does a pen-test find?, 'Code review?
        * Write an adoption guide. Apps are only created in a green-field
          once. Then they live in maintenance forever. How do you apply
          ESAPI to a real-world app already in production without
risk/regression?

* Generate an argument as to why ESAPI beats these alternatives. Is it cost?
Speed-to-market? What?
* Finally, realize that it's OK that there's more than one way to do things.
Revel in it. It's what makes software an exciting field.

In the meantime, rest assured that those of us out there that have looked get
that ESAPI can be a good thing.

----
John Steven
Senior Director; Advanced Technology Consulting
Desk: 703.404.9293 x1204 Cell: 703.727.4034
Key fingerprint = 4772 F7F3 1019 4668 62AD  94B0 AE7F EEF4 62D5 F908

Blog: http://www.cigital.com/justiceleague
Papers: http://www.cigital.com/papers/jsteven
http://www.cigital.com
Software Confidence. Achieved.

On Jan 7, 2010, at 10:56 AM, Jim Manico wrote:

> [...]
>> the least of which is "...'cause [framework XXX] sucks." Fair. Out
>> of the box, they often do. Fair, [framework team XXX] probably isn't
>> listening to us security guys either.
>>
>> If you're an ESAPI shop--good. Careful adoption of a security API
>> can help your security posture. Please remember to validate that the
>> API (if you sucked in an external one rather than writing it)
>> applies to your applications' threat model and ticks off all the
>> elements of your security policy. Because, having hooked it into
>> their apps, teams are going to want a fair amount of exoneration
>> from normal processes (Some of which is OK, but a lot can be
>> dangerous). Second, please make sure it's actually secure--it will
>> be a fulcrum of your security controls' effectiveness. Make sure
>> that assessment program proves your developers used it correctly,
>> consistently, and thoroughly throughout their apps. What do I tell
>> you about ESAPI and your MVC frameworks (Point #3 from above)? -
>> sigh- That's a longer discussion. And, by all means, don't think you
>> can let your guard down on your pen-testing. Is it a silver bullet?
>> No.
>>
>> Is ESAPI the only approach? No. I submit that it's -A- way. I hope
>> this email outlines that effectively. And viewed from a
>> knowledgeable but separate perspective: the ESAPI approach has
>> pluses and minuses just like all the others.
>>
>> ----
>> John Steven
>> Senior Director; Advanced Technology Consulting
>> Desk: 703.404.9293 x1204 Cell: 703.727.4034
>> Key fingerprint = 4772 F7F3 1019 4668 62AD  94B0 AE7F EEF4 62D5 F908
>>
>> Blog: http://www.cigital.com/justiceleague
>> Papers: http://www.cigital.com/papers/jsteven
>> http://www.cigital.com
>> Software Confidence. Achieved.
>>
>> (*1) http://bsi-mm.com/ssf/intelligence/sfd/?s=sfd1.1#sfd1.1
>> (*2) During the AppSecDC summit, Jeff indicated the ESAPI project
>> would later pilot SAMM but the global projects committee indicated
>> that getting OWASP projects to follow some secure development
>> touchpoints is too onerous/impossible. Dinis, I'll note is a huge
>> proponent of adherence.
>>

>> On Jan 6, 2010, at 4:36 PM, James Manico wrote:
>>
>>> Hello Matt,
>>>
>>> Java EE still has NO support for escaping and lots of other
>>> important security areas. You need something like OWASP ESAPI to
>>> make a secure app even remotely possible. I was once a Sun guy, and
>>> I'm very fond of Java and Sun. But JavaEE 6 does very little to
>>> raise the bar when it comes to Application Security.
>>>
>>> - Jim

>>> changers.   It looks like to me, java is checking for authorization
>>> and
>>> authentication with this new framework.   If that is the case, I
>>> think that
>>> static code analyzers could change their rule sets to check what
>>> normally is
>>> a manual process in the code review of authentication and

>>> 817-294-3789 Home office
>>> mailto:mparsons1...@gmail.com
>>> http://www.parsonsisconsulting.com
>>> http://www.o2-ounceopen.com/o2-power-users/