hi sc-l,

The tie between malware (think zeus and stuxnet) and broken software of the
sort we work hard on fixing is difficult for some parts of the market to
fathom.  I think it's simple: software riddled with bugs and flaws leads
directly to the malware problem.   No, you don't use static analysis to "find
malware" as the AT&T guys sometimes think…you use it to find the kinds of bugs
that malware exploits to get a toehold on target servers.  One level removed,
but a clear causal effect.

Malware is something Cigital has been thinking and writing about for many
years.  This month's informIT column takes a walk down memory lane and then
fast forwards to today.

Modern Malware<http://www.informit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=1695979> (March
22, 2011)

This month's article is the latest in a series I have been publishing for over
5 years.  You can find all of the articles here:
http://www.cigital.com/~gem/writings/

Incidentally, a Justice League blog entry featuring the malware article also
includes a pointer to a video produced by Dasient about the malware problem.
See http://www.cigital.com/justiceleague/

gem