I have downloaded the source tarball of SCID 4.3.0  to my XP box, and
used at in cygwin to unpack it.

I have downloaded and installed Visual Studio Express 2010, the whole
shebang.

I had a very brief run with VC++ to create a new project from an
existing source tree. Allegedly that work, but building the project did not.
I then supposed it might be easier to use the commandline and the
existing makefile.

I had to change the makefile, the variable previously known as MSVCDIR
is now VSINSTALLDIR; I just made this assignment:
VCDIR has been set
#
MSVCDIR=$(VSINSTALLDIR)
!if "$(MSVCDIR)" == ""
MSG = ^

And the makefile looks for the wrong TCL version..
Now, the build goes like this:

\source\scid>nmake /f Mak
efile.vc

Microsoft (R) Program Maintenance Utility Version 10.00.30319.01

*** Output directory            = '.\Release'
*** Intermediate directory      = '.\Release\Temp'
*** Tcl directory               = 'C:\Program Files\Tcl'
*** Tk directory                = 'C:\Program Files\Tcl'
*** Language file               = all
*** Build 'Release' Version     = yes

cl : Command line warning D9002 : ignoring unknown option '-Op'
cl : Command line warning D9002 : ignoring unknown option '-QI0f'
cl : Command line warning D9002 : ignoring unknown option '-G6'
tkscid.cpp
c:\documents and settings\summer\my
documents\downloads\source\scid\src\tclmy.h(
7) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'unistd.h': No such
file or di
rectory
NMAKE : fatal error U1077: '"c:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio
10.0\VC\BI
N\cl.EXE"' : return code '0x2'
Stop.

The lack of the file unistd.h (or similar) bothers me.

What should I do next?