Fulvio,
How can I get the extra information from the books to display in the Scid I
built myself? Until I ran this Windows/CrossOver version I didn't even know it
was missing!? See bullets below. I'm highly annoyed this Windows version seems
better than the Mac version I built from source.

Carol,
I don't use Ubuntu, I use a Mac. You should say what steps you tried and what
step failed.

* I have Scid working on Mac and was able to use knowledge.bin there, by
copying the file into my books directory. It gives moves and percentages.
* I have CrossOver (like Wine but for Mac) and was able to download
scid_polyglot.7z and run scid.exe with knowledge.bin, by telling Scid the
correct books directory. It gives moves, percentages, evaluation, depth, and
engine.

At first CrossOver gave an error and would not run scid.exe. I changed to a
64-bit Windows 10 bottle and scid.exe runs okay. So first make sure your Wine
environment is 64-bit and the latest Windows you can choose.

When I first started scid.exe in CrossOver it complained about paths.

In the Scid menu I chose Options ! Resources... and changed the "Books
directory"
* change from
C:\Users\Gebruiker\Downloads\scid_polyglot\bin\books
* change to (Your folder would be different.)
C:\Programs\scid_polyglot\bin\books

Now scid.exe in CrossOver starts without complaints.

Let us know what doesn't work.

--
Alan