Hunger-striker moms get their high school

August 21, 2001

BY GARY WISBY STAFF REPORTER

Supporters of a new high school for Little Village declared victory Monday
with the news that $5 million has been set aside for design and site
preparation at 31st and Kostner.

The commitment was part of a $525 million program for this year that also
calls for construction of seven schools, including new Kelvyn Park and
Simeon high schools.

Little Village residents staged a hunger strike last June, demanding a
school that had been promised them in 1998.

"The moms think this is a victory," said Jesus Garcia, former 22nd Ward
alderman who heads the nonprofit Little Village Development Corp. "These are
essentially the terms that had been negotiated with [former Schools CEO]
Paul Vallas. It's a show of good faith."

Ald. Ricardo Munoz (22nd) also praised the plan but said, "We won't stop
advocating until we can start graduating students."

The spending program commits another $5 million to planning a high school
for the Pilsen area--which, like Little Village, is predominantly
Hispanic--and an equal amount to replace Westinghouse High School, 3301 W.
Franklin.

The new Kelvyn Park High School, 4343 W. Wrightwood, will cost $44 million;
the new Simeon High School, 8235 S. Vincennes, $40 million.

New elementary schools, ranging from $14.5 million to $19 million, include
Field, 7019 N. Ashland Blvd.; DePriest, 39 S. Parkside; Cuffe, 1540 W. 84th;
Mcnair, 849 N. Leamington, and Anderson, 6315 S. Claremont.

The building program "recognizes the limits of our current finances,"
Schools CEO Arne Duncan said. He said he will begin a "top-to-bottom" audit
of system finances to determine how best to spend what money there is.

Board of Education President Michael Scott said state and federal agencies
must now step up because "we have essentially tapped all local sources of
revenues."

Jacqueline Leavy of the watchdog Neighborhood Capital Budget Group said,
"We're still not spending at a pace to keep up with overcrowding."

Leavy said an audit is a fine idea, but the board should release figures to
rank spending needs school by school. "People don't know why one school gets
picked over another--why Walter Payton and Northside prep schools are built
when there are so many needs in the neighborhoods," she said.

--
This is the CPS Science Teacher List.