I have taught basic epidemiology to some of my students in the Chicago
City Colleges.  We go over transmission methods and isolation
techniques.  I found an article about small pox which is both very
enlightening and very scary.  My students liked reading it, and they
were wide-eyed with questions when it came time to discuss.  The article
itself appeared in the New Yorker in 1999.  Here is a link to it.

http://cryptome.org/smallpox-wmd.htm

The article is great from a factual standpoint, but it might be a little
too much for some people to handle.  One person recently described it me
as haunting.  Read it before making the decision to let your students
see it.  The article could be a little alarmist.

Other than that, the Museum of Science and Industry has a new learning
lab called Outbreak (due to open Nov. 12) which is supposed to deal with
topics related to this.  It may be a good idea to contact them.

Mike Davis
Science Theatre Productions
ph:  773-343-2500
www.stproductions.net