On 02/22/2013 04:53 AM, Eva Myers wrote:
I have a problem with the new Firefox 17 on SL5 machines with ATI
Radeon X300 graphics cards using the fglrx driver.  The X server will
frequently crash when a user attempts to start Firefox, leaving the
computer with its screen black and unresponsive to mouse or keyboard
(the Xorg process just sits there eating CPU).  Does anyone know a fix
for this problem?
Eva.

This sounds more like a problem with fglrx, are you using the one from ELrepo? I'm still on FF 10ESR here, but under Options/Preferences (they keep changing it I swear!), in the advanced section, general tab, you can uncheck hardware acceleration. See if that alleviates the problem. It may be useful to check your Xorg log files for clues as well.

-Mark

--
Mr. Mark V. Stodola
Senior Control Systems Engineer