You don't need the ".203" in the udev rule you just need "eth1" but that said you dont need the udev rule either the HWADDR field in the network scripts handles it for you and overrides the dev rules.

-- Sent from my HP Pre3

On Mar 14, 2013 10:06 PM, Steven C Timm <t...@fnal.gov> wrote:

Stephen--what is the architecture of this machine? Are you running 32-bit on a 64bit machine?

Steve?

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-scientific-linux-us...@listserv.fnal.gov [mailto:owner-scientific-linux-us...@listserv.fnal.gov] On Behalf Of Steven Haigh
Sent: Thursday, March 14, 2013 7:31 PM
To: scientific-linux-users
Subject: udev renaming ethernet adapaters to vlan names?

Hi all,

This one has been going on for a while... Every time I install an updated kernel on this specific machine, I get a udev rule inserted in /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules

That rule is:
# PCI device 0x10ec:0x8169 (r8169) (custom name provided by external tool) SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION="" DRIVERS=="?*", ATTR{address}=="00:18:4d:79:65:47", ATTR{type}=="1", KERNEL=="eth*", NAME="eth1.203"

Now whats strange here is udev renames the physical ethernet adapter
(eth0) to eth1.203 - which is (was?) a working VLAN.

So, the network config:
# cat ifcfg-eth0
DEVICE="eth0"
BOOTPROTO="static"
BROADCAST="192.168.1.255"
HWADDR="00:40:63:EA:B7:21"
IPADDR="192.168.1.1"
NETMASK="255.255.255.0"
_ONBOOT_="yes"

# cat ifcfg-eth1
# Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8169 Gigabit Ethernet TYPE=Ethernet
DEVICE=eth1
BOOTPROTO=static
_ONBOOT_=no
HWADDR=00:18:4d:79:65:47

# cat ifcfg-eth1.10
# Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8169 Gigabit Ethernet TYPE=Ethernet
DEVICE=eth1.10
BOOTPROTO=static
_ONBOOT_=yes
IPADDR=10.1.1.254
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
VLAN=yes
IPV6INIT=yes
IPV6_AUTOCONF=no
IPV6ADDR=2002:cb38:f71b:2::1
IPV6FORWARDING=yes

# cat ifcfg-eth1.203
# Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8169 Gigabit Ethernet TYPE=Ethernet
DEVICE=eth1.203
BOOTPROTO=static
_ONBOOT_=yes
IPADDR=203.56.246.94
NETMASK=255.255.255.240
VLAN=yes
IPV6INIT=yes
IPV6_AUTOCONF=no
IPV6ADDR=2002:cb38:f71b:1::1
IPV6FORWARDING=yes

As you can see, there isn't very much out of a normal ethernet setup - but the where the udev rule comes from is beyond me. It happens guaranteed every time yum installs a kernel update.

Does anyone have any pointers on where to chase this down to?

--
Steven Haigh

Email: net...@crc.id.au
Web: https://www.crc.id.au