Seriously are we still beating this dead horse. While I admit I was the one who took this conversation on a tangent in the first place, every valid point of view on this has been covered from both sides.
No resolution will come of it!
From here its an intellectual pissing contest lets end it!

-- Sent from my HP Pre3

On Aug 1, 2013 20:08, Steven Haigh <net...@crc.id.au> wrote:

On 02/08/13 09:59, Vincent Liggio wrote:
> On 08/01/2013 06:07 PM, Steven Haigh wrote:
>>
>> If you really do have 1200 systems to worry about, I'd be looking at
>> things like satellite. I have ~20-25 systems and yum-autoupdate is
>> fantastic. It does what it says on the box and relieves me of having to
>> watch / check for updates every day. I get an email in the morning that
>> tells me what was updated and if there were any problems.
>
> Guess none of you have to deal with third party applications, device
> drivers, change management, etc. Simple servers are easy to patch, and
> yes, I've done that for years. But take a system running anything
> graphical (especially with video and audio device drivers) and try to
> randomly patch it, and see how long that lasts!

I hate to say it, but now you've shifted the goal posts. You talk about
blade servers, now you talk about graphics drivers and audio - which I
assume would be desktop use.

Even on the desktop though, the kernel doesn't auto-update - so any
graphics drivers that are installed against a specific kernel version
will continue to work until you upgrade the kernel manually - at which
time you will be required to build the kernel modules again (nvidia /
ATI etc).

> (and yes, I really do have 1200+ systems to worry about. And I sleep
> very happily knowing tomorrow they won't be any different than they were
> today)

Unless in the lack of updates, you leave a security hole and due to the
lack of updates you never pick up on it. My 16 years of experience says
that this is a dangerous attitude for system admins to adopt. And no, in
16 years I have never had a security breach (touch wood).

>> Its hardly hidden - and if you don't like it, don't install the package
>> - its purely in your control.
>
> It installs by default. I certainly can uninstall it, or set it to not
> autoupdate, which I shall.

And this may work for you - and thats great for you. It shouldn't
however mean that the default should be changed to disable this in the
entire distro.

In fact, if you *really* want to disable auto-updates globally, then
you're better off using a single line sed command that you can run via
SSH to all systems you control to disable it. That way it is rapidly
deployed to all your systems with a simple bash script loop.