It sounds like your network on the VMware side isn't configured correctly.
Also you should always use VMware tools to sync your time instead of NTP on VMware virtual machines.
VMWare hypervisor plays games with the clock on purpose and can cause a VM with NTP enabled to behave erratically.

-- Sent from my HP Pre3