From: "Mahmood Naderan" <nt_mahm...@yahoo.com>
To: "Vladimir Mosgalin" <mosga...@vm10124.spb.edu>,
"scientific-linux-users@fnal.gov" <scientific-linux-users@fnal.gov>
Subject: unable to ssh and resource temporarily unavailable
Date: Fri, Oct 25, 2013 1:45 AM

Excuse me, when I change the ulimit, should I restart anything? Or changes are
applied on the fly?

Regards,
Mahmood

On Thursday, October 24, 2013 2:30 AM, Mahmood Naderan <nt_mahm...@yahoo.com>
wrote:
>Check "pgrep -u mahmood | wc -l" - if it reports number close to or above
>1000 (default limit 1024), then it's that.

# pgrep -u mahmood | wc -l
2118

!! That's it

I will change that. Meanwhile, what will happen to the those which are beyond
the limit? Are they running?

Regards,
Mahmood

On Thursday, October 24, 2013 2:26 AM, Vladimir Mosgalin
<mosga...@vm10124.spb.edu> wrote:
Hi Mahmood Naderan!

On 2013.10.23 at 15:15:16 -0700, Mahmood Naderan wrote next:

> As root, I can not su to my user
>
> [root@tiger<mailto:root@tiger> ~]# su - mahmood
> su: cannot set user id: Resource temporarily unavailable
>

> Which resource is unavailable right now? how can I find that?

Maybe too many processes for that user?
Check "pgrep -u mahmood | wc -l" - if it reports number close to or above
1000 (default limit 1024), then it's that.

You can check limits for current user with "ulimit -a" and tweak them in
/etc/security/limits.conf and /etc/security/limits.d/* (1024 processes
per user is set in /etc/security/limits.d/90-nproc.conf)

There are also other limits you can exceed, like limits on open files,
or it can be limitation of selinux policies and few other causes -
but error in setuid() is likely process limit.

If it's something else, you should run "su" under strace ("strace -f"
would be useful) and examine its output. You can solve (nearly) all
mysteries like this with strace.

--

Vladimir