TLS/SSL won't work correctly if you use the /etc/hosts file. That is the real constraint with LDAP and DNS.
But its not that severe all you need to be able to do is forward and reverse lookup the host name and match it to the IP address.
You do not really need the SRV records. As long as the name in the cert matches the DNS A record for the hostname(s) and the reverse lookup of the resulting IP also matches the hostname(s) in the cert you are good.

One other option is you don't really need the passwords in the LDAP database you can put it in Kerberos then you don't have to worry about clear text passwords at all and there are no DNS requirements.

It takes a out 15 minutes to set up a Kerberos server and only about an hour to setup 389 server (a.k.a Red Hat Directory server a.k.a. Netscape Directory Server) from scratch to use Kerberos Auth.
Then on your client configs you specify the IP addresses instead of the host names.

-- Sent from my HP Pre3