I think the point is that the commits as they’re landing are hard to relate to
anything coming from Red Hat. For instance, I was curious about one earlier
which had a commit message which indicated that there was a one-line change to
a file… However, the commit added the entire file.

In that case, I’ve attempted to reach out to the CentOS committer whose name is
associated with the commit (with no response as of this moment). But there are,
unfortunately, large swaths of the new code which doesn’t have an actual person
attached.

It’s fair to assume it’s all coming from a faucet at Red Hat. However, barring
anyone with authority stating otherwise, it’s also fair to assume that the
stuff coming from Red Hat is being modified for CentOS’s needs before being
committed.

If the latter is the case, the statement about anonymous sources is completely
correct in regards to the files which have a committer of “CentOS Sources
<b...@centos.org>”. There is no one to take the fall if a file is subtly
modified, and there’s no (public) change history to show when it happened. The
paranoid might think of Apple’s recent “goto fail” issue and how easily it
would be to introduce something like that in a huge source drop which is not
easily verifiable as being exactly the same as Red Hat’s sources.

Mind you, I’m not saying that’s the case. But in the absence of data or
evidence to the contrary, it’s a perfectly sane and logical conclusion one
might come to. In any case, I don’t feel it’s unreasonable for people to want
to know the provenance of the code they’re running.

Just my thoughts.

Matt

--

Matt Lewandowsky

Big Geek

Greenviolet

m...@greenviolet.net http://www.greenviolet.net

+1 415 578 5782 (US) +44 844 484 8254 (UK)