On 07/11/2014 10:56 PM, Steven Haigh wrote:
On 12/07/2014 3:49 PM, ToddAndMargo wrote:
On 07/11/2014 10:44 PM, Steven Haigh wrote:
On 12/07/2014 3:24 PM, ToddAndMargo wrote:
On 07/11/2014 01:49 PM, Patrick J. LoPresti wrote:
On Fri, Jul 11, 2014 at 1:40 PM, Patrick J. LoPresti
<lopre...@gmail.com> wrote:

Try giving the "--size-only" option to rsync.

Better yet, try "--modify-window=1". From the rsync man page:

--modify-window
                 When  comparing  two  timestamps, rsync treats the
timestamps as
                 being equal if they differ by no  more  than  the
modify-window
                 value.   This  is  normally  0 (for an exact match),
but you may
                 find it useful to set this to a larger value in some
situations.
                 In  particular,  when  transferring to or from an MS
Windows FAT
                 filesystem (which represents times with a 2-second
resolution),
                 --modify-window=1 is useful (allowing times to differ
by up to 1
                 second).

    - Pat

Hi Pat,

--modify-window=1
        3 hr - 9 sec

--modify-window=10
        3 hr - 8 sec

Rat!  I really though this sounded right

I did notice that the bugger the file (with no changes)
the longer it took.  So, I think they are still doing
check sums.

Any way to turn of the check sum testing?

Now you're starting to get off task... How can you sync something if you
don't know if it matches? Sure, you can only go off timestamps

How would I do size and time stamp?

Virtually everything I modify will either be a different size
and/or get a new time stamp.  I can not think of a reason
why, in this instance, I'd need to do a check sum.

Then you don't want to use rsync - as you're not syncing. rsync will
also checksum data AFTER copying to verify the copy was successful.

If you don't care about the rest, try the normal cp:
        cp -apu /path/to/source /path/to/destination

Hi Steven,

man cp:
   -u, --update
        copy only when the SOURCE file is newer than the
        destination file or when the destination file is missing

Hmmm.   I think I will give it a try.  Not finding one for
size is different.  Not sure that is an issue though

Thank you!

-T

--
Computers are like air conditioners.