On 07/28/2014 09:12 AM, Vladimir Mosgalin wrote:
Hi ToddAndMargo!

  On 2014.07.27 at 22:25:08 -0700, ToddAndMargo wrote next:

Why would you *want* that? Seriously? When backups of files, rather
than filesystems, are much more easily mirrored onto a read-only,
accessible target to allow people to recover their deleted files
quickly and cheaply?

Even if you need to back up to tape, AMANDA and half a dozen other
technologies do a much better job with "tar" or "rsync" based backups.

Hi Nico,

1) It is *insanely* fast

2) it is command line

3) I am the one that does the recovering, not the user.
    (I leave the backup drives unmounted when not on use
    on purpose!  I do not want the user anywhere near
    those drives.)

"Dump was a stupid program in the first place. Leave it behind."
"Dump may work fine for you a thousand times. But it _will_ fail under
the right circumstances. And there is nothing you can do about it."

http://lwn.net/2001/0503/a/lt-dump.php3

Seriously, don't use dump. Backup software that highly depends on fs
implementation is a very bad idea in modern world. Accessing data at low
level from fs mounted in r/w (i.e. the data might be modified, so
special tricks are required to extract meaningful copy) is just asking
for trouble.

Note also that dump is
1) highly unportable (in Linux: ext2/3/4 only, *BSD dump isn't
    compatible with Linux version and so on)
2) not supported in other UNIX operating systems anymore because its
    design doesn't work with modern file system design. dump/restore
    don't exist in Solaris 11 at all (official recommendation:
    zfs dump/restore for whole backups, cpio/tar/rdiff-backup/areca/etc
    for more agile backups). For AIX IBM recommends tar and cpio for
    file-level backup as modern replacements

(http://www.ibmsystemsmag.com/aix/administrator/backuprecovery/Backup-and-Restore-With-AIX)

If are 100% sure that you need fs-level backup instead of file-level
backup, then don't ask for things impossible by definition (restoring
fs-level backup to another fs).

Yes, dump/restore are fast but they are able to do it by duplicating
parts of kernel fs implementation in userspace, which is why there will
be irresistible problems with them.

Hi Vladimir,

  Is xfsdump any better?

  What do you prefer in its place?

  It looks like a full wipe to go to 7 and xfs anyway.

-T