On 10/08/2014 07:01 PM, Yasha Karant wrote:
I have downloaded and yum installed

paraview-3.10.1-4.el6.x86_64.rpm

paraview-data-3.10.1-4.el6.noarch.rpm

The application installs, but immediately crashes X windows.
/var/log/Xorg.*.log and /var/log/messages, and the like, show
nothing obvious (to me).  The screen goes black, and then I am back to
the window manager SL 6 login splash screen.  The
system allows me to log in and everything works unless I again invoke
paraview, in which case the cycle repeats.

So X is clearly dying and that is what needs to be debugged. What does /var/log/Xorg.0.log.old contain after the crash - that's the previous Xorg log file.

What video driver?  Installed from where?

--
Orion Poplawski
3380 Mitchell Lane                  or...@cora.nwra.com