Hi guys,
if i might add my view onto this matter .. :]

I think the LDAP doesn't complicate things - on the contrary, it simplify them. Ofc, the installation and configuration of 389 Directory server (if speaking about RHEL and clones) is definitely much more demanding in know-how compared to YP.

But speaking then about day-to-day work, and setting up other things than need authentication, the LDAP is a blessing.

Half year ago i helped to do a 'switch' to LDAP for a company (300 users) in mixed env of Windows workstations and servers, Linux workstations and servers.

DC was 3.6 samba authenticating windows users and YP for unix /linx users.

Then other various systems needing authentication (printers, IM system, zimbra, blackberry server ... maintaining anything user-data related was hell for the IT team.

I implemented 389DS with as a authentication backend for Samba and SSSD. And i pointed all other applications / devices that require authentication to LDAP too (printers, openfire server, osticket system, zimbra server etc etc).

With the help of smbldap-tools and written scripts i recrunched data, changed needed rights, Samba RIDs and SIDs, Linux UIDs and migrated everything.

Since then, no more user-data problems.

What i want to say is, YP server, thanks to it's simplicity still has its uses in purely Unix/Linux secured LANs, but such an environment is quite a rarity nowadays.

LDAP is the standard these days in both worlds - unix and windows alike. No matter if speaking about windows AD with multimaster replication or about IPA (again with mulstimaster repl) the backend storing user data is still LDAP.

cheers,

--
*Karel Lang*
*Unix/Linux Administration*