My wife has been elected Chair of the Faculty Senate at our university. As such, the Administration is willing to buy her an Apple iPad or equivalent. My understanding is that the iPad platform will not run any Linux environment, and she does not want to "relearn" everything. That is, she wants Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome, Mozilla Thunderbird, MATE (or a close equivalent), LibreOffice, galculator, etc. My understanding also is that non-Apple tablets will run Linux and thus should support the environment to which she is accustomed. Are there any tablets in the Apple iPad price range that run SL 7? If not SL 7, other distros (say, Ubuntu "enterprise")? Would such tablets also run VirtualBox or VMWare Player to allow the use of MS Win as a guest environment? How much RAM and mass storage should be procured? The unit would need both USB ports as well as 802.11 support (supported drivers under Linux for Network Manager, her WLAN application of choice).

Any recommendations or observations would be appreciated.

Yasha Karant