I used to get emails about SL7 auto-updates, but the last one is dated 11 Nov 2016. There have been many auto-updates since then.

/etc/yum/yum-cron.conf hasn't changed, and points to the address from which I'm sending this. I had tried to use another address earlier but that never worked.

The last update reported by email was google-chrome-stable. The next one listed in /var/log/yum-log-20170101 is cpuid

The first line of output on starting yumex is:
'Can't detect the network connection state', but it then works as normal.

?

John P