On 20180409 05:03, ken wrote:
On 04/07/2018 05:22 AM, Maarten wrote:
I recently installed "Cinnamon Desktop" on my laptop, but the weird
thing is all the menu items are really small and up close to each
other. See the attachments, my desktop has the same packages installed
and doesn't have this problem, I'm running nvidia drive 390.48 from
elrepo. I tried installing the other drivers but those don't seem to
be compatible with my system. Any one have an idea why my menu items
are looking like this?

It may be because you have a relatively large screen and/or your screen
is set to a relatively high resolution.  If so, this has been a
long-standing issue:  Video drivers set the size of screen object based
on pixels.  Of course those objects should be sized instead according to
their visibility to humans.  To fix this, you could set the screen to an
inferior resolution.  Or perhaps there is a setting in the video driver
to make screen objects larger.  Some apps also have settings for larger
icons and/or text.

Conceptually you should be able to tell the windowing system that you have, say, a 2000 by 3000 display that is 20" by 15" and the display would scale fonts and images appropriately. A dpi setting should cover this. And ideally it would be the same dpi on both axes to get images looking their best. I've never had to worry about that as I feel the bigger the display the better. So I don't know if X11 supports this concept. If not, it damn well should if it purports to be useful for desktops, notebooks, laptops, and everything else.

{o.o}  Joanne "Opinionated" Dow