Pungi uses isohybrid (from the syslinux package) down in the bowels to do that.
At least that's what I found when I deconstructed its methodology.

That's how I'm getting a USB-bootable .iso file for our spin, anyway...

The algorithm I'm using is:

        mkisofs
        isohybrid
        implantisomd5

Your mileage may vary...

On 5/24/18, 1:35 PM, "owner-scientific-linux-us...@listserv.fnal.gov on behalf
of Pat Riehecky" <owner-scientific-linux-us...@listserv.fnal.gov on behalf of
riehe...@fnal.gov> wrote:

    Hello,

    Are you creating the custom iso with pungi or a different tool?

    Pat

    On 05/24/2018 01:17 PM, Bill wrote:
    > I am creating a custom installation ISO using kickstart.  This install
ISO is based on SL 7.2.

    > When I burn a DVD from this ISO I can boot from the DVD and the install
menu come up as expected.

    > When I use dd to copy the ISO to a USB key and try to boot from the USB
key the install menu does not appear and the system boots from the hard drive.

    > I tried using dd to copy the SL7.2 ISO to a USB key.  When I try to boot
from this USB key the install menu comes up as expected.

    --
    Pat Riehecky

    Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory
    www.fnal.gov