On 27/10/18 17:42, Yasha Karant wrote:
Using yumex, rather than doing a full update to SL 7.5 production, I
attempted to update over the network the kernel, firmware, and libgcc,
allowing yumex (essentially yum) to establish the needed dependencies
(other applications, etc., that also needed to be updated).  The
resulting kernel will not boot, but merely hangs.  If one waits long
enough, the "progress bar" at the bottom of the screen does show the
typical blue/white progression, but that is all.  When I reboot and
manually select the previous kernel, the system reboots.  I am using
MATE for a "control" GUI, although as the system never gets to the login
screen, MATE should not be "active".   It appears that yumex (yum) does
not fully resolve all required dependencies.  What other components must
I update?

At one time, SL (EL) allowed one to do an update from local media during
the boot from local installation media (e.g., a USB stick flash drive)
-- this no longer directly is supported.  As I do not have the time to
extract from the previous source how this was accomplished, and have not
found a script (or GUI version thereof) that accomplishes the same task,
I attempted a minimal update using yumex.

Yasha Karant

Re-sending, with addition, to list:

I don't have your constraints on web access, but I have no current issues with yumex. There was some strangeness earlier in 7x upgrades that may now have been fixed. See the list archives, 2018 May 15

https://listserv.fnal.gov/scripts/wa.exe?A2=ind1805&L=SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS&F=&S=&P=13374

or

https://listserv.fnal.gov/scripts/wa.exe?A1=ind1805&L=SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS#15

And have you tried yumex again under the old kernel?

I don't know what video card you are using; is it nvidia? Have you enabled rpmfusion-nonfree-updates (or some other repo with nvidia drivers?)

John P