Although in the past the official policy of Red Hat was that you needed to
do a fresh install going from EL N to N+1, that is starting to change.
There is an internal team called "LEAP" whose job it is to make sure you
can do that.
I believe RHEL 7.8 to RHEL 8.1 was the first that you could officially do
that.
I don't know all the details.  all I know is "we're working on it."
I'm pretty sure that at the current time we aren't as smooth as Debian,
they've been doing it much longer.
But we're getting better, and for RHEL9, LEAP is being involved from the
start.
So maybe in a few releases / years people will be able to say our updates
are as good, or even easier than debians.