Hi, Larry, thank you for the wonderful overview of things on
the industrial side.

On the experimental physics side, things are very similar, except
that our typical experiment life time is only 3-5-10 years and people
turn-over drives software turn-over. New people want new c++,
new python, etc.

> We do not plan to re-evaluate RH 8 or Cent 8.  Our conclusion is they
> are not acceptable for plant wide use.  A sad end to a good product.

Others seem to have come to same conclusions. The ARM world (Raspbian, etc),
Xilinx (FPGA ARM, rolled their own), etc. Cannot name a single embedded
operation that stayed with Redhat/Centos.

> Continuing to evaluate linux versions as possible OS's to jump to.  The
> only one we have see so far is the chineese linux - it works wonderful
> and the desk top is direct and to the point.

I am not surprised, as chineese linux (and russian linux) are driven by
industrial users (civil more than military I would say). Everything
must be open-source - open for review in fear of backdoors and boobytraps.

Plus I would say in those no-nonsense do-more-with-less industrial cultures,
things like "we start things randomly" systemd and "you must have
top-of-the-line
3D accelerator" gnome do not last long.

K.O.

--