On 10/23/21 11:11 AM, Götz Waschk wrote:
Am 22.10.21 um 16:40 schrieb Stephen Isard:
For the past couple of days, I've been getting

------------------
/etc/cron.daily/0yum-daily.cron:

Failed to check for updates with the following error message:
Failed to build transaction: google-chrome-stable-95.0.4638.54-1.x86_64
requires libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.18)(64bit)

Disabling the google-chrome repo makes the error message go away, of course, and lets check-update proceed.  But is this the end of the road for chrome
updates on SL7, or is there some reasonably straightforward work-around?

Stephen Isard

Hi Stephen,

I have seen this. The solution was rpm -e google-chrome-stable . You could try to run Google Chrome in an EL8 singularity container, e.g. based on CentOS8, AlmaLinux8 or Rocky Linux 8.

I'm going to second Götz. Officially Chrome isn't supported on RH. They say Fedora 24+...

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__support.google.com_chrome_answer_95346-3Fhl-3Den&d=DwIDaQ&c=gRgGjJ3BkIsb5y6s49QqsA&r=gd8BzeSQcySVxr0gDWSEbN-P-pgDXkdyCtaMqdCgPPdW1cyL5RIpaIYrCn8C5x2A&m=dgMSM-KkpmXdR-TaFWz2pQPbuaFF5Ip3DaeYI-W9P-WL7T8PxtNz6HqLNf6hhX9Y&s=jH9qcs4D1gLr98CA7sw5fP8cWMTF0UDYVnGBq_BBxkI&e= We /MUCH/ prefer Firefox but we ran into an issue where we needed it on a SL7 system for a specific workload but it seemed like it broke every other update. It was a pain trying to manage Chrome. We finally just started using containers for Chrome until the end of the project and then we went back to Firefox for everything.

I too recommend Singularity for containerization, but there are other containers out there if you look.

~Stack~