At one time we faced a perhaps similar dilemma: hardware with proprietary software/firmware that would not support then current security/encryption methods/protocols. The hardware could not be replaced for two reasons: it was integrated into specific systems that were in use; the vendor did not support the old hardware and we had insufficient external funding to replace all of the systems that would need to be replaced for compatibility with the vendor then current products. The solution we used was to put a physical dedicated buffer computer (not virtual, no hypervisor) between all network accesses to the affected hardware system and the buffer machine was only on an internal network, as would be the affected hardware, all behind the "hardening" of our Internet connected networks (that included a honey-pot sacrificial "trap"). The buffer machine did a bi-directional translation from current methods to what was required by the affected hardware. In addition, there was a terminal console machine that could be attached directly to the affected hardware platform and environment allowing us to fully manually configure -- in so far as the proprietary environment allowed -- as an "emergency" measure (that we rarely had to use). There was some increase in latency, but as the affected hardware was not a real time system but merely a "low" latency and "high" throughput system, the increased latency and lowered throughput did not impact the usages of the affected hardware, and was fully transparent to the end users of the entire system.