On Tue, Dec 5, 2023 at 1:51 AM Paul Robert Marino <prmari...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> With NFS always go with EXT4 because NFS isn't compatible with 64bit
inodes, so you need to disable a flag with XFS for "inode64" which means on
files over 2GB XFS' will need to create multiple inodes instead of 1 at the
beginning of the file which hurts it's performance.

Can you provide details on this, or a reference?

Even NFSv2 had fixed-size 32-byte/256-bit file handles. NFSv3 (1995) made
them variable size and up to 64 bytes / 512 bits. Linux NFS may have taken
a while to catch up, but I am pretty sure anything from the past decade
will be fine with 64 bit inodes.

We have been using XFS over NFS for at least 10 years now, with partitions
in the hundreds of terabytes and individual files in the hundreds of
gigabytes. No problem. I have no idea why anyone would consider ext4 for
any serious application.

 - Pat